HELLO JUNE 2022
FABULOUS THINGS THAT HAPPENED LAST MONTH
1. I took another exam – one more crossed off the list
2. Some lovely meals out with friends
3. I booked a holiday for October half term
4. I got an extremely high grade for my exam
5. I had lots of success with my school
6. Tony & I have launched a new Balloon styling business
Balloons And Dreams @balloonsanddreams
LIFESTYLE, LEISURE, PLACES & HOME
The Queens Jubilee
Love the Monarchy or hate it, surely no one can deny what a wonderful woman the Queen is! I for one adore our Monarchy & the Queen has been the most stable figure for most people’s entire lives. Yes they’ve had their troubles as a family but through it all she has remained dignified & a simply remarkable woman. Congratulations Your Majesty!
BEAUTY, HEALTH & STYLE
Getting my mojo back!!
Being a busy working mum like many many others, it’s often easy to forget ourselves or put ourselves at the bottom of the pile. I’m absolutely guilty of this and also, one of my biggest problems over busy periods is letting my healthy diet & exercise go to pot.
I eat very healthily most of the time but when I’m at my most busy I end up just grabbing snacks as and when I can which makes me feel sluggish and lacking motivation.
I’ve recently just had a very busy period at work along with taking some more exams myself and sadly my diet and fitness went by the wayside. It all hit me the minute my exams finished and I felt rubbish and that I’d lost my mojo. Luckily for me, I can only go so far before my motivation kicks in again and I’ve been back to healthy eating and hitting the gym with a vengeance since!!!! Immediately I feel 100% better and back on track which I needed in preparation for summer! Good diet and fitness are so important and I’m determined not to let it slide on my next busy period.
RESTAURANT OF THE MONTH
Lu’s Place – Meltham, Holmfirth
Not living in a big city can often mean you miss out on great places to dine & Huddersfield Town Centre over the past few years has certainly not been the best town to visit for a meal and a night out. I however live on the outskirts of Huddersfield where we are blessed with beautiful country side and wonderful dining establishments. I count myself very lucky to have the choice of so many modern establishments that are run by insightful and eager owners keen to make their mark on the culinary world in local towns and the residents of Huddersfield’s outer villages really are spoilt for choice.
In only March of this year another such fabulous establishment opened in Meltham Holmfirth named Lu’s place & today I was lucky enough to visit.
This modern restaurant is right up my street with huge windows & a glass roof that opens on warm days (we luckily got to experience this today), excellent staff, a small but perfect menu for the venue and an altogether fabulous atmosphere. The food was fabulous, the staff even better, the décor and ambience perfect and it will be somewhere I return to time & time again. Well done Lu’s Place, I pray this is somewhere that will capture the imagination & remain for years to come.
COCKTAIL OF THE MONTH
Platinum Jubilee Gin Punch
- 200g caster sugar
- 300ml water
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 500ml gin
- 75ml elderflower cordial
- 1 litre soda water
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1-2 tsp Angostura bitters
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 4 nectarines, cored and sliced
- Edible flowers (to serve)
- Heat the sugar and 300ml water in a pan, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, take off the heat, add the Earl Grey tea bags, then steep for 30 minutes. Squeeze the bags, then discard
- Pour the cooled syrup into a bowl with the gin, elderflower cordial, soda water, lemon juice and Angostura bitters to taste. Stir in the lemon wedges, sliced nectarines and lots of ice. Adjust to taste and scatter with edible flowers before serving.
FILM/TV SHOW OF THE MONTH
Well written and well acted from start to finish, I binged watched all 3 series and loved it. I highly recommend this excellent series.
BOOK OF THE MONTH
The worst idea ever – Jane Fallon
I love Jane Fallon’s novels when I just want a bit of light hearted easy reading. Yes, they all follow a similar theme but she’s witty and her stories keep you interested from start to finish. I had a day off and read it in a day after a particularly busy period at work.
THIS MONTH I’M LOVING
The Queen’s Jubilee
THIS MONTH I’M NOT LOVING
That the sunny weather seems to have disappeared
THIS MONTHS FAVOURITES
1. Camellia plants
3. Clinique take the day off cleansing balm
4. Glow Up: Britain’s Next Top Make-Up Star
5. Davina McCall’s book – Lessons I’ve learnt
THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH